The new dynamic EForm & Workflow Builder is designed to allow Caisis administrators and data managers to construct EForm type data entry screens without the assistance of a programmer or database administrator. This is accomplished using a simple drag and drop interface.
Basic Features of Workflows
- Workflow Title
- Workflow Disease
- Available Fields
- Workflow Sections
- Section TItle
- Section Layout selectors
- Delete Section button
- Move Section buttons - move section up or down in the section order
- Trash - Remove fields from your Workflow by dragging them here
- Preview Workflow button
The structure of a Workflow can be summarized as follows:
- Each Workflow is made up of one or more sections.
- Each section can hold one or more data entry fields. Each of these fields corresponds to a column in the Caisis database.
Workflow Building Basics
- Give the Workflow a name in the box on the top left of the screen.
- Select the appropriate disease for the Workflow
- A new Workflow will have one blank section by default. You may add more sections as needed using the "Add Section" buttons. Give each section a title; if you don't want a section title to display on the user interface, uncheck the "Display Section Title" checkbox for that section. Delete sections using the "X" button found on the top right of the section.
- To add a field to your Workflow, simply drag it from the Available Fields panel into a section of the EForm. (Use the table select box to choose the database table that contains the field you want to use.) To delete a field from your Workflow, drag it from a section into the Trash can on the bottom left of the screen. (Note: the data entry input type is currently determined by the metadata for that database field.)
- Adjust the layout of each section by selecting either One-Column List, Two-Column List, or DataGrid layout. You can change the order of sections using the Up and Down arrows next to the section title.
- Be sure to save the Workflow design regularly using the Save buttons.
- You may preview your EForm using the "Preview Workflow" button at the top of the screen.
- To activate the Workflow as a Workflow in the Data Entry section, you must check off the "Active" box for the Workflow in the Manage Workflows list in the Admin section of Caisis.
Using Dynamic Workflow for Data Entry
A Workflow is available for use by users as soon it is activated by an administrator in the Manage Workflows list. Users will find active Workflows in the Workflows menu in the Patient Data section of Caisis.
Limitations of the Alpha Version
This alpha version of the Workflow Builder is designed to provide administrators a way to build data entry interfaces as easily as possible. As such, some functionality planned for the final version of the builder have been left out of this alpha. Several import limitations for the alpha version are listed below.
- The data entry input type for each field is determined by the metadata for that database field; these fields cannot be configured to be different from the Patient Data section of Caisis. More configuration options will be available in a future version.
- When recording multiple records for any Caisis database table in a single Workflow, the fields for that table must be collected in a DataGrid layout. In future versions of the Workflow Builder, One and Two-Column Lists will be available for use in these cases. (However, this will add a layer of complexity as the user will have to specify such values as RecordId and ParentRecordId.)
- A List section may have fields from a unlimited number of tables, but a datagrid can only hold records from one table. Future versions will allow fields from multiple tables in a single DataGrid.
- For any child record, the fields for the parent table must be a One or Two-Column List. The fields for the parent record cannot be in a DataGrid.
- Currently, all sections for an Workflow are displayed on one page. In the future, the Workflow designer will be able to group the sections into multiple pages.